Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Three Houses, Auburn

Three Houses, Auburn.
2008, 11 x 14, acrylic
NOT FOR SALE.

This is my first post. I've been a weekend artist for years, but it wasn't until about six months ago that I started painting seriously. Taking inspiration from the daily painters site, I decided to start my own art blog, in which I'll post the (almost) daily paintings I've been doing. I call the blog Painting the Light because that's what I do; it's the contrast of light and shadow that intrigues me most as an artist. Following in the tradition of artists like Edward Hopper and Fairfield Porter, I'm humbly attempting to say something about time and place through my depictions of common, everyday scenes: primarily urban streetscapes and rural landscapes. My favorite subject is buildings, especially the old New England houses that have been a part of my personal landscape for my entire life. I work almost exclusively in acrylics, although I've dabbled in watercolor and am trying to learn pastels. With this blog, I intend to chronicle my journey of learning and growth as an artist.


No comments: