Sunday, April 13, 2008

Early April, Port Clyde

Early April, Port Clyde
8 x 10, acrylic on canvas
SOLD


I took a drive yesterday to the coast to get photos. It was a mostly gray day, although I saw occasional and brief glimpses of weak sun. This is Port Clyde village, located at the tip of a peninsula in midcoast Maine. When you reach Port Clyde, you can't go any farther unless you get into a boat. I prefer sunny days, with lots of light and shadow and value contrasts. But I had to do the best I could with what I could get. Hope you enjoy!

ADDENDUM: Funny story about this one. Yesterday afternoon, I was visiting Suzanne Harden's site (she's one of my favorite artists, see the link at right) and pulled up one of her paintings I've always loved. And discovered...I'd painted the exact same location as she had. When I painted this, I had no idea it was the same place. She'd painted it on a sunny day, while I painted it on a cloudy day with some fog. And our styles are very different (hers is amazing, mine is...well, mine). I never would have realized it was the same spot except for that leaning telephone pole. It caught my eye when I looked at her painting (which I'd seen a hundred times before), and I started looking at the buildings, and the trees, and the road, and realized that yes, it really was the same location. Except that I'd called it Port Clyde, and she called it Tenants Harbor. The two are right near each other on the same road, but I don't know where one ends and the other begins. I've only been down to the end of that particular peninsula twice in my life, since I live inland, so the territory isn't familiar to me. So she's probably right. It probably is Tenants Harbor. But isn't it funny that, without even knowing it, I'd paint the same scene as an artist I admire?

2 comments:

~m* said...

Next time you are in Port Clyde, stop by and see us at the Seaside Inn Bed and Breakfast. We have great views of the harbor from our cupola! Maybe you would like to paint from up there before we open on May 1.

Painting the Light said...

Thanks for the offer. Sounds wonderful! I'll have to check it out one of these days.