Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Munjoy Afternoon, or, The Painting That Almost Wasn't

Munjoy Afternoon
16x20, acrylics on canvas
SOLD

This is also known as The Painting That Almost Wasn't. You can't see it in the photo, but directly behind the attic window in the house at the right front, there's a tear in the canvas, caused on Sunday morning by my incessant clumsiness. I was carrying masonite painting panels and the top one slid off and its sharp corner sliced right through the upright canvas on the easel, causing a puncture wound I feared was fatal. I had spent many hours already on this painting, and it was only about a third done. For a day, I wrestled with a dilemma: toss the painting (and lose all those hours I'd worked), or mend it and keep going. I opted to keep going. I put masking tape on the back, smoothed out the front, added another coat of blue paint, and then decided to camouflage the whole thing by adding another window on top of it. Good old Payne's Gray will cover a multitude of sins. The painting was saved. If I do end up taking it to the Art Walk in Boston, I'll offer it at a discount because of the injury. If it doesn't sell, I'll keep it and hang it in my house, as it's one that I really like.

Life. It's what happens while you're making other plans.

No comments: