Saturday, July 4, 2009

Still Alive

Poppies
12x12, acrylics on gallery wrap canvas
Not For Sale

I've been sitting here in rainy Maine for the last, oh, four to six weeks, looking out the window at mostly gray, gloomy, drizzly skies. Every so often, we get a beautiful, sunny day, just to tease us. Then it goes back to ugly, monochromatic gray. I've desperately needed color, and it seems the only way I can get it these days is to paint it myself. But my landscapes don't generally have enough color to bring me out of a deep, gray funk, so this morning I decided to do something different: poppies. I painted this almost entirely with my fingers...only used a brush for the original background color (pale turquoise) and for the stems. There's just something so fulfilling about digging in and actually using my fingers in that paint while I create! The sun may not be shining outside my window, but indoors, things are getting h0t. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Debra said...

I really like this, it looks like a fun painting! Love the colors!